I think the world pretty much agrees that this year was shit. America elected Trump as the next president, there was that bathroom bill in North Carolina, the memes were awful, there was all that Brexit stuff, the newest Harry Potter book wasn’t great, there were a lot of significant deaths… The list goes on. However, a lot of good things happened in the personal lives of people around the world. Maybe someone beat their eating disorder, or left an abuser for good, or won an award, or found music that speaks to them, or learned a new skill, or met a new friend, or started fresh with an old friend, or had a great reaction to their coming out. There may have been a lot of crap throughout the year, but each person had a million good moments to combat those things.
I have to say my year was a strange one. I experienced so many amazing things: I saw my favourite band, twenty one pilots, for the first time, I got to do a lot of travelling, I learned a lot, I rekindled a friendship that I thought was lost, I started blogging (which I really do enjoy), I went to my first comic con and met Tom Felton… There are so many reasons that I should be saying 2016 was the best year ever. But I can’t say it was.
The year wasn’t great in my head. My self-confidence has been the lowest it’s been in years and I’ve been relying on certain things a bit too much for my comfort. Music is one thing that I was a bit too dependent on. I fell out of love with a lot of things that I used to love – I quit volleyball, I stopped enjoying skiing and camping trips, I hardly read anything this year. Most of the year I spent just thinking about the future, and how I’ll be happy then, instead of trying to be happy now. It just was not a great year mentally.
I think I’m going to say this year was 65% good. I think I’m going to try to make next year a better one. A lot of my resolutions for the new year have to do with blogging, and I think that’s going to be great. Blogging is a great project for me to throw myself into, and I can’t wait until my blog looks like it belongs to a pro. If my resolutions go according to plan, then I can’t wait to be a pro. 2017 looks bright right now, and I’m hoping it will be a fresh start for me.
New Years Resolutions
I completely forgot what day it was, so I didn’t realize I had so little time to actually get my resolutions together. Because of this, my resolutions are really just my hopes for 2017 at the moment. I’m going to spend all of tonight and tomorrow working my ass off to get an actual game plan together for these, but I won’t have them done for this post. But since it will make me a bit more accountable for my goals, here are my 2017 resolutions.
- Dye hair. (Pastel blue, pastel purple, or white. Maybe a darker brown? Still not sure, I just want to do it.)
- Redo room: paint walls, new bedspread, dry erase calendar.
- Declutter: Get rid of enough things to give everything a home.
- Declutter online as well: Unfollow, unsubscribe, delete accounts.
- Do the $5 bill challenge.
- Grow Instagram: 1k followers/month. (You can help me with this one! My Instagram is @therosetintedchapterblog)
- Get 100 Pinterest followers/month. (You can help me with this one as well! My Pinterest is @therosechapter)
- Bring more traffic to my blog.
- Work out more: Do Just Dance for 20 minutes twice a week for one month. (This may actually be the only way I can motivate myself to work out more.)
- Grow blog and get first paid post. (Maybe this sounds shallow and gold diggerish. I don’t care. That’s how I’ll know that I’ve done what I’ve always wanted to do. It’s also one step closer to becoming a full-time blogger, which is my dream career.)
- Create a blogging schedule.
- Improve quality of images and posts.
- Join Pinterest group boards.
- Define my ideal follower and find my niche.
- Find a small group of other bloggers and help each other grow and get more viewers.
I’m still working on my resolutions, so I may not end up actually doing all of these. I’m going to really have to make a solid game plan to hit some of these, especially the social media goals. I have never been great with social media, but I’ve been doing a lot of research so I’m hoping that I’ll improve quite a bit this year. If anyone has any ways to help me with these, I could really use it! If you could direct me to some good Pinterest group boards, give me some Instagram tips, or even just repin a few of my pins it would mean a lot to me!
Happy New Year everyone! What are your resolutions this year? I’d love to hear them in the comments!